I think of happy when I think of you
so wherever you are I hope you’re happy
I really do
I hope the stars are kissing your cheeks tonight
I hope you finally found a way to quit smoking
I hope your lungs are open and breathing your life
I hope there’s a kite in your hand
that’s flying all the way up to orion
and you still got a thousand yards of string to let out
I hope you’re smiling
like god is pulling at the corners of your mouth
cause I might be naked and lonely
shaking branches for bones
but I’m still time zones away
from who I was the day before we met.
When you’re sad:
1. Write letters to the people you love. Don’t seal them; don’t send them. Instead, stick them between the pages of library books.
2. Eat raspberries off your fingertips.
3. Venture outside and observe natural life. Watch a honey bee suck the nectar from lavender plants. Watch a snail slowly make its way towards the shade of a tree. Watch a hummingbird innocently fly above your head. Realize how insignificant you are.
4. Smile at strangers; say hello. It will improve their day and your own.
5. Write lists. They can be about anything.
6. Read several pages of the dictionary. Learn new words. Write down the ones you wish to remember.
7. Never feel compelled to apologize when you don’t feel sorry. It’s okay that you’re honest. It’s okay that you have a different opinion from someone else.
8. Read books and watch movies from your childhood. A healthy dose of nostalgia is okay. Immerse yourself in your past innocence.
9. Walk to a park and get on a swing. Go as high as you can; feel limitless. The world is yours.
10. Eat if you’re hungry. Food is not the enemy. You are a human and need food to survive. You deserve to eat. Put those raspberries on your fingers and sprinkle sugar on your tongue. Taste the summer breeze and sweet aroma of jasmine flowers.
11. Don’t marinate in your sadness. You are not a steak. You are a person; you’re irreplaceable. Open yourself up to contentment. Bathe in the rivers of Glee. Go for hikes with Satisfaction. Sleep in a warm cocoon of blankets with Bliss. Let endless happiness overcome your hopeless sadness. You deserve to be happy. If life is a game and you are the referee, be biased for once and let happiness win.
This is the God who beckons storm clouds and they come. This is the God who says to the wind and the rain, ‘you blow there. You fall there.’ And they obey immediately. This is the God who says to the mountains, ‘you stop here. Seas, you stop there.’ And they obey! Everything in all creation responds in obedience to the Creator until you get to men and women, and we have the audacity to look this God in the face and say, ‘no.’ We have all turned away from God and to ourselves. And this is the essence of sin: self.
I’ve often seen people share that quote, something like “getting married at 22 is kind of like leaving a party at 9:30.” This does not offend me. I agree. I left with the hottest and funnest person at the party and we picked up a pizza on the way home and are snuggled up watching Mad Men together, and everyone else is still at the party getting super wasted and barfing on themselves and making regrettable decisions.
I hated writing this, but it forced itself out of me. This might be the most honest thing I’ll ever say.
If you have no interest in reading my thoughts, at least skip to the section in bold it’s all I really want everyone else to understand.
I’ve always tried to be a hero..